FROM IDEA TO EXECUTION
The High Alpha team is purpose-built to conceive, build, and launch new software companies from scratch. We’re experienced founders, product leaders, marketers, engineers, and operators. Meet the teams behind our studio services.
Resources to Help Design Products
At High Alpha, we start new businesses using our proprietary Sprint Week process. All of our Studio companies are born…
At High Alpha, we are laser-focused on starting B2B SaaS companies. During the first six months, we spend a lot…
How to Design a Product
Are you wondering how to design a product? If so, you may be looking for good product design examples to learn how you can create your own design. There are plenty of examples of good design in everyday life. You may want to think about the light on your nightstand, the TV in your living room, or even some of the appliances in your kitchen. You might be wondering how to create your own product ideas, but it is important to understand some of the steps involved.
For example, what are the five stages of product development? These five steps include:
- Idea generation – the process of developing an idea that you can use to build a new product
- Minimal Viable Brand – MVB takes the amorphous concept of brand and turns it into something tangible. Much like MVP, with an MVB, you expend the least amount of time, effort, and money necessary to develop enough of a launch brand to convey your value and to collect valuable feedback. As an alternative to a complete strategic brand process or simply a logo, an MVB provides you the right balance of structure and flexibility.
- Screening – the process of going through each of your individual ideas, figuring out which ones are viable and which ones are not
- Concept development – when you start to put some structure around the idea that you would like to use to design a product
- Product growth – the process of actually building a product you would like to bring to market
- Commercialization and market testing – the process of bringing your product to the market and figuring out how well it works
These steps may look slightly different depending on the type of product you are designing. At the same time, the general process should be the same. Regardless of whether you are designing a new appliance for the kitchen or trying to design a new digital product, you need to follow these steps. If you try to skip any of these steps, you could end up setting your product back significantly, as you will have to go back in the process and redo some of these steps.
So, if you are trying to build a new application, software program, or digital product, what do you need to do? Take a look at several important points below, and remember to reach out to a professional if you would like help bringing a new product to market.
Product Development Process Steps
If you are wondering how to design a product online, it may be helpful to take a look at a product development process PDF. There are numerous product development process steps, and it may be helpful to take a look at the stages in the new product development process with examples. When taking a look at a product design process example, some of the most important steps to follow include:
- 1. The first step is usually called idea generation, or ideation. This is where new product concepts come from. For example, the team may take a look at multiple possible ideas, scream them, and select the best one for their product. This could include business analysis, market research, and market risk.
- 2. The next step involves product definition, or discovery. This is going to refine the definition of the product concept, making sure the team understands exactly what they are doing. The step could also be called discovery. A few product mock-ups may be used to get the design process going.
- 3. After this, the team will go through the prototyping process. The team will have to think about the manufacturability of the new product, its usability, and the benefits and drawbacks of each possible design. A prototype will also be developed for further testing.
- 4. Once a prototype has been developed, the team will start going through the detailed design process. The prototype will be refined, figuring out what has to be done to make it more reliable and user-friendly.
- 5. The product has to work as planned. Therefore, after a final design has been confirmed, the product will be tested thoroughly. The product has to be validated in the eyes of the customer through intensive testing, while the design team will go through the financial model for the product, figuring out how to make it profitable.
- 6. Finally, the last step is commercialization. The team needs to think about everything required to bring a successful product to market. Detailed marketing and sales plans have to be drawn up, and customer support for the product has to be ensured.
When taking a look at the ways to produce your product example, understand that the process can vary depending on the type of product you produce; however, the overall product design principles will remain the same.
Product Design Example
There are a lot of people who are looking for innovative product design examples, including digital product design examples. Note that not every product design has to be complicated, as there are plenty of exceptional simple product design examples as well.
When taking a look at software product design examples, one of the best examples is Microsoft Windows. Even though they have been around for a long time, the operating system has undergone several changes during the past few decades. It was a revolutionary, innovative product when it was first released, widening the tasks people could complete with a computer. Now, it serves as the foundation for numerous other digital products that people use today. It is straightforward, inexpensive, and customizable, allowing people to maximize the use of their computers.
Of course, there are plenty of bad product design examples as well. For example, there was a phone designed by a company called LAVA that nobody ended up using. The reason why nobody liked this phone is that it was designed with a keyboard with the keys laid out differently. The vast majority of people are used to the QWERTY keyboard, as it is found on just about every computer. This means that a company that decides to change the keyboard will have a difficult time attracting customers because nobody will be able to use the keyboard easily. For this reason, this is a bad product design example.
As you are trying to design your own product, remember not to overthink the process. Sometimes, simple is better for product design. Visit this page to learn more about the creating best product designs.
Product Design App
There is a lot that people need to think about when they are trying to design a product. Some people may be looking for the best product design app available, including product design apps for Android. There are numerous types of tools people can use to design their products. For example, some people might use an application to talk to other product designers, bouncing ideas off of people who might be willing to provide their feedback. Other people may be looking for a product design application that allows them to produce free sketches. These can be helpful for putting ideas down on paper, so product designers can critique them later. There are even helpful applications that people can use when they are trying to screen a product.
The good news is that there are many applications that will help you design your own product for free. When taking a look at product design tools free, including a product design app free, product designers need to remember that product design is an investment. This is something that requires time and money. Even though there are plenty of free tools available, these are only going to act as a starting place. Eventually, product designers need to be willing to invest in the process, paying for the tools they need to design a successful product.
With this in mind, what are a few examples of the best tools product designers can use to help them during this process? There are plenty of applications available, and there are some Instagram accounts that product designers may want to follow as well.
Online Design Maker
Clearly, there are a lot of steps involved in designing a new product. Therefore, it may be helpful to look at a product design website. That way, you will have access to an online design maker or a product design maker that can help you get the most out of the product design process. There are several examples of applications and software programs that product designers use to create their products screens. For example, you may be interested in taking advantage of Figma, Sketch, or Invision, which is known for representing the best in design and business. You will have access to image galleries, a search function for some of the best products, and information on manufacturers and product designers.
There are also several helpful Instagram accounts you may want to follow as a source of inspiration. That way, you can take a look at some of the best product designs available today, using them as a launching pad for your own ideas. For example, you may want to take a look at Sketch, which is one of the best Instagram accounts for current and future product designers to follow. Another great Instagram account to follow is Invision. Every product design process is different, so it is important for people to branch out and take a look at what other product designers are doing. That way, they will always have a source of motivation they can use.